Samsung electronics has finally unveiled its long awaited foldable device. The Samsung Galaxy Fold smartphone has both the portability of a smartphone and utility of a tablet in one piece, that’s great.
The device is 4.6 inches when closed but when opened expands up to 7.3 inches, enabling its users to easily jump from a compact smartphone to an expansive tablet screen. This is made possible through the company’s sophisticated hinge system with multiple interlocking gears which helps it to fold without causing damage to the screen.
Galaxy Fold Smartphone Key Specifications
- Display: 7.3 inches Dynamic AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen + 4.6 inches HD Super AMOLED Cover Display
- Screen Resolution: 1536 x 2152 Pixels (414 ppi)
- OS: Android 9(pie), Samsung DeX
- Processor: Octa Core Processor, 1 x 2.84 GHz kryo 485 & 3 x 2.4 GHz kryo 485 & 4 x 1.7 GHz kryo 485 (Qualcomm snapdragon 855)
- RAM: 12GB
- Storage: 512GB (in built storage)
- Front camera – 16MP ultra, 12MP wide angle + 12MP telephoto lens
- Back camera – Dual 10MP selfie camera (f/1.9) , Dual Pixel PDAF + 8MP (f/1.9)
- Cover camera – 10MP (f/2.2)
- Network: 2G/3G/4G LTE/5G
- SIM: Nano SIM
- Bluetooth: Yes
- Fingersensor: Yes
- GPU: Adreno 640
- Colour: Space Silver, Cosmos Black, Martian Green, Astro Blue
- Connectivity: GPRS, EDGE, HSPAT, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Wireless Charging: Yes (fast wireless charging)
- Navigation: Yes with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- Battery: 4,380 mAh Li-ion Battery (non-removable)
Design And Display
Samsung Galaxy Fold has a 7.3 inches Dynamic AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen when the screen becomes full and a 4.6 inches HD Super AMOLED Cover Display when folded, it has a screen Resolution of 1536 x 2152 Pixels. The screen is big enough to play games, watch videos at a better convenience with rounded corners.
It has four colors to choose from, Space Silver, Cosmos Black, Martian Green and Astro Blue which are very beautiful.
Battery and performance
The device has two batteries combined to churn out durable 4,380mAh capacity as the sole power supply on the device. The batteries are found on both side of the device, it rapidly change with an input of 18W power. It’s sophisticated nature made it possible for the device to use both batteries.
Samsung implemented a powerful hinge mechanism with interlocking gears that makes it open and close smoothly like a book.
One of the amazing qualities on this device is the app continuity. For instance, you are using Facebook on the cover display, once you unfold the phone, whatsoever you are doing shows immediately on the main screen. The device is developed to allow three apps to run simultaneously in a split-screen format unlike the normal 2 split screen on ordinary Android phones.
It has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Processor of 1 x 2.84 GHz kryo 485 and 3 x 2.4 GHz kryo 485 and also 4 x 1.7 GHz kryo 485 together with a 12GB RAM. There’s speed and no lagging on this device and the galaxy storage capacity is 512GB. It runs on the latest Android 9 pie.
Camera and connectivity
There are six cameras on the device starting with a cover camera of 10MP for cute selfie, 10MP (f/2.2) and 8MP (f/1.9) depth sensor making it three cameras when the screen is fully opened like the Infinix Hot S4. Then the back of Samsung galaxy fold are a 12MP with variable apertures of (f/1.5 – f/2.4) aperture supported by 12MP telephoto lens and 16MP ultra wide sensor.
This device run a 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G network connection. It has Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Hotspot, uses a wireless charging technology and also uses a cable charger.
Price of Samsung Galaxy Fold
Samsung Galaxy Fold smartphone will cost for about $1,980 and the device in Nigeria should cost ₦712,800 depending on your deal and location.